“Privacy is a myth, but it is the duty of Organizations to make it a reality”
What is the New ISO Standard?
ISO/IEC 27001 is a standard that defines the requirements of an Information Security Management System (ISMS). It is known as the world’s best standard for ISMS. Organizations of different sizes and genres can take advantage of these standards to improve their ISMS. It provides guidance for establishing, maintaining, implementing and continuously improving information security management systems.
Complying with the guidelines mentioned within the standards means that the organization or business has used a system to manage and assess risks related to the security of the data owned or handled by the company. It also shows that the organization respects all the best practices and principles that are proposed by international standards.
With increasing technology and access to the internet, cyber threats are also on the rise. New threats emerge every day. Sometimes it may seem impossible to prevent or manage cyber threats. However, ISO/IEC 27001 helps organizations by making them aware of all the risks and proactively attend the weaknesses and vulnerabilities of the organization.
ISO/IEC 27001 promotes a comprehensive approach to information security. They do full-fledged checks on people, policies, and technologies. An information security management system that follows the standard can be used as a tool for risk management, operational excellence and cyber-resilience.
Now that we have understood the importance of this standard, let's have a look at the advantages of being in compliance.
Perks of ISO/IEC 27001
The ISO/IEC 27001 compliance focuses on the growth and maintenance of an organization’s ISMS. You will have multiple benefits if you comply with the standard.
- Confidentiality of Data: As it is a standard set for the privacy of data, it goes without saying that all your data will be safe. Any client information or customer data will not be leaked or breached. It will provide you and your customers with a sense of safety.
- Have a Competitive Edge:Complying with the guidelines gives you the right to brag about it. You can tell your customers or stakeholders about the standard you follow. You can also ask for a certification logo from the authority that you can use on your website. It will provide your partners and customers with a sense of safety and will show your dedication to the company.
- Process-Based Approach:When in compliance you will have a process-based approach. It means the process of implementation, establishment, monitoring, operating, maintaining and improving your security management system will get easier.
- No Legal Issues:When you can show your compliance with the internationally recognized ISO/IEC 27001 standard, it fulfills all the legal obligations that you need to cover for maintaining an ISMS.
- You will be protected: You will achieve comprehensive protection in which all your assets, shareholders and directors will be protected.
- Reduced Costs: When you are protected the chances of data breach or leak is negligible. This reduces the cost associated with security breaches and leaks.
How to get ISO/IEC 27001 certified
There are various steps that change according to the industry. Different organizations have different levels of readiness. However, there are some steps one can follow to check their compliance.
- The first step is to get a consent from the management of ISO/IEC 27001 audit. If they are ok with it, you can proceed further.
- Decide an informative security policy as per the company’s objectives that you hope to achieve. This will give you an idea of how well your information security is working.
- Define the scope of ISMS
- Perform a risk assessment of the current information security management system and information security practices with the most appropriate methods.
- Identify the risks and address them immediately. Put in proper risk measures and controls.
- Conduct an internal audit of ISMS. Make sure that you use the strictest measure possible during the audit. It will help you in improving the efficiency of your ISMS
- Conduct the ISO/IEC 27001 certification audit for ISMS compliance with an independent body.
- After ISMS certification, conduct annual surveillance audits for continued compliance.
Principles of information security in ISO/IEC 27001
- Confidentiality: Only the right people will have access to the data. If someone does not have the required authorization, they will not have access to the information. The information will be secure and safe from the hands of malpractitioners.
- Information Integrity: The data provided to you should be used only for permissible purposes. It is the organization’s responsibility that the data should not be used for malicious purposes, and should not be sold, erased or damaged under any circumstances. Even a mistake from the employee's side should not be tolerated.
- Availability: The data stored with the organization should be accessible to the clients whenever it is needed. This increases the satisfaction of customers, and they tend to recommend your business to other people. Make sure that you have emergency protocols in case of a crashed server or database going offline. You should always have a backup of the data.
Who Can Benefit from ISO/IEC 27001
Nowadays, data breaches, data theft, and data leaks are a huge concern for businesses. All the organizations need to think strategically regarding their information security needs. They must understand how information security relates to their objectives, processes, size and structure.
The ISO/IEC 27001 allows organizations to maintain an Information Security Management System and apply the risk management process that is tailored to their requirements. The ISMS can further be scaled up according to the requirements.
Although IT is the industry that uses the ISO/IEC 27001 the most, still benefits of this standard have convinced organizations all across the economic sectors. The companies that adopt a comprehensive approach defined in ISO/IEC 27001 standard make sure that information security is applied into information systems, management controls and organizational processes.
Is It a Legal Requirement?
Now that we have learned so much about ISO/IEC 27001 standard, one might wonder if it is a mandatory standard or not.
Companies are not legally required to follow the guidelines, yet they do so to demonstrate alignment with the latest security practices. The process of ISO/IEC 27001 certification takes somewhat between 3-12 months. It is a very long process because it starts with implementation and finishes with an audit. However, there are other variable factors that can affect the time taken such as available resources, experience of implementing team and involvement of senior management.
Once you have received the certification it will be valid for three years. During this period, the audit officer will give you certain visits to make sure that the compliance is regularly improved.
Who Can Provide You the Best Iso Certification
Now that we have understood all about ISO 27001, you must be wondering who can do the ISO certification for you. In this huge market there are many players, and the options might confuse you. But do not worry.
Cyber Cops is a well-known and reputed company in the field of digital safety. They are trained experts who can help you with all your queries regarding digital safety. The cyber cops is always up to date with the latest updates regarding policies and guidelines. If you get confused, they are always ready to help. They can help you in the audit and guide you through the complete process. They will not only make sure that you comply with the standards but will also assist you in maintaining compliance.
- Is ISO 27001 a standard or framework?
ISO 27001 is an information security standard. However, ISO is the framework that has all the ISO standards. It provides a framework to implement, establish and manage Information Security Management System
- What is the latest standard for ISO 27001?
The latest version of ISO 27001 is the 2022 version. It is known as ISO 27001:2022. The main changes are in clauses 4 to 10. There are some moderate changes in Annex A security controls. The number of controls has decreased from 114-93.
- ISO 27001 standard is based on which approach?
ISO 27001 uses a top-down, risk-based approach. It is technology neutral. When you follow ISO 27001 risk-based approach, you can tailor your defenses according to your needs. This process will ensure that you are doing everything to prevent any security incident.
- How do I get ISO 27001 certification?
To achieve ISO certification, an organization needs to develop and implement an ISMS system that meets all the requirements of the standard. Then they will have to register themselves for certification with a recognized certification body.
- How much does ISO certification process cost?
The auditors might charge you somewhere between $1,000-$1,600 per day. This fee may vary according to the ISO standard that you need certification for. The average certification cost for small businesses is about $10,000-$15,000 at the minimum.